Friday, August 6, 2010

a day at the beach

Today my friends and I took on the hour long drive through the open country-side to the beach town of Port Dover. The ride up was rather uneventful, but driving through those country roads was peaceful, surreal (like we were far away from our stifling suburbs) and truly felt like the stereotypical summer road trip. We blasted summer favorites like the Beach Boys, rolled down the windows, and sung along as the wind whipped our hair and the sun warmed. We drove by the sign of the Six Nations Reserve, which prompted a little debate about the natives and their rights. Of course, it was a passing debate among friends with little knowledge on the subject, but left me with the gnawing feeling that change needs to happen. Despite the solemn topic, the ride was enjoyable and went by quickly.

Arriving at Port Dover at about 11 o clock , we were able to grab an enviable spot by a tree a little ways down the beach. The sand was hot on our feet and we quickly ran to the shade despite being burdened with several coolers, beach umbrellas and other beach gear. It didn't take long for the food to be passed around, and to discover that we had only two bottles of water amongst the four of us (which was resolved later by buying ice tea). We laid out our towels and preceded to get comfortable, digging our feet into the cool sand beneath the tree.

After a bit of eating and talking, my friend and I walked to the shore, taking in the gray blue water flecked with white foam and rolling with gentle waves. Far out in the distance where the water met the clear horizon, white sail boats seemed to float lazily across a glass edge.

We stepped over the dark,green seaweed-plugged water that lapped against the sand, and sunk into the rather murky lake water, going out far enough that the water bobbed against our denim shorts. The lake breeze, clear sky, fierce sun and cool water were both a soothing and invigorating touch that cleared any worries swimming around our minds. We talked and laughed, mostly about cultures and languages, completely lost in the calm haze. And yet, even then the gentle waves that rolled out from the larger waves made me uneasy.

As we made our way back towards the shore, the ripples of sand beneath our feet had us marveling that nature could display such a perfect and hidden pattern, and I silently praised God for his intricate creation.

Returning to our spot we plopped down; our feet hanging off our towels as they were coated with a thin layer of crusty sand. We basked in the sun for a good couple of hours - the shade had wandered off to a more desired location.

When the heat finally became too much, we changed into our bathing suits and headed back out to the lake. The water was startlingly cold against our sun-kissed skin as we swam deeper.

At first, the waves were small and fun, but it soon became apparent that my friends wanted to go farther. Although we weren't by any means that far out , the waves rolling toward us seemed to loom threateningly above me and I found myself unrealistically afraid. I felt like a child caught alone in a storm, and each wave made my stomach tighten and my heart anxious. Unbidden, thoughts of drowning and a feeling of being helplessly out of control seized me. My friends drifted a few feet ahead of me, but it was enough to make me feel alone. The only thing keeping me from returning to land was embarrassment. I tried to rejoin my friends, but the waves pushed me back. Although I could hear them clearly, I was unable to focus on my friends conversation and easy laughter, as my heart and mind were filled with each wave that came and went.

And then I prayed.

Lord, please grant me peace of mind, protect us and help me to trust in you!



Immediately, my heart lightened, my mind cleared and the waves became quite friendly. My friends drew near and we laughed and talked as we bobbed along with each wave. Peace settled quite snugly in my soul and the waves were suddenly unimportant, a mere backdrop to our conversation.

Later that evening, a storm rolled in and we were forced to leave the beach. We drove home in the rain as I contemplated fear and peace, anxiety and trust.
Fixing my eyes on Christ sheds light on seemingly dark and deep waters that are actually quite shallow and insignificant. I pray that all areas of my life are illuminated with the light and truth of Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment